Exhausting

 

The exhaust has been winding me up for a while.

I don't really like the flick up style tip despite it being a period cool mod.
I also do not like the way it likes to fall apart at random when I am driving it or at the very least blowing at any given opportunity. A few attempts to remedy this hadn't gone far enough so it was time to drop the lot and start again.
So on jacks the car went again and back under the car I slid.



The exhaust was removed from the resonator back, cleaned and reassembled.
During the time I have owned the car I have replaced the last remaining two rubber mounts with new ones of varying designs. Big thick chunky mounts don't really fit over the loops and the rubber rings are a bit long and flimsy. Something more resembling the genuine mounts do a shockingly better job but that varies depending on where in the system I was trying to fit.
Disassemble was carried out with a Ryobi rattle gun which made short work of all of the fasteners.
The main change I was trying to make was pull the main Scorpion silencer forward so the long section of pipe had a cat in hells chance of staying in the clamped on sleeve that holds it onto the resonator.

Separating the silencer from the pipe was a pain in the ass at first but it was hiding a lot of pipe which could now be sent further forward so I wouldn't be straining mounts quite as much which made the effort worth while.  
As with previous attempts; I used a good amount of copper silicone set to help prevent further leaks. This was most useful on the aforementioned sleeve which has a noticeable crease in it which would have been blowing regardless of fit.
Everything was loosely fit then gradually tightened down when parts were at their least stressed but actually fitting on to one another properly.
The silencer tip took a trip into the garage where I had a go at it with some metal polish and a pneumatic palm polisher. This could then be slipped on the end of the exhaust and adjusted for the best fit .
A cup of tea later, the car was lifted off its axle stands, dropped from the jack  and fired up. It was back to purring away with the G ladder joining in with its own tune. Success!
Well she has earned a wash and polish then I guess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covering up the moon

The beginning

second hand car joys