hold the brakes

 I wouldn't say the brakes were bad but I also had no idea how old they were or what brand anything was so I decided to go upgrading.
A bit of time researching got me a list of cars that used the same kit such as early Golfs, Ibizas etc so I went looking for the best I could afford.
I got lucky quickly with a set of EBC brake pads for the front and rear NOS. The packaging was beaten up but the all important pads were perfect. EBC make the best pads on the market in my opinion so I was happy with this.
Some good quality front and rear drilled and grooved discs were next. This was the first time I had done discs on a car of this age so I wasn't expecting to do bearings as well but I soon found out I was. Well the rears at least.
The rears went on fine with new bearings and races. The fronts were a simple drop in but I soon noticed that the new discs were 1mm smaller. I had got the wrong mod state of front disc which was a bit disappointing. I shall order some new ones soon to finish that lot off but a close up look showed the front discs were actually quite new. 

After a winter sleeping under a cover, the Corrado's right hand brake lever had stopped returning as it should. I was told it was a seized caliper or cable but I wasn't quite sure about that. A pair of new return springs were ordered to sort this out. Then a pair for a g60 were ordered and the VR6 ones I had ordered were relisted on eBay (how many more times???).
The old ones were easy to remove, I just popped the bolt out and the spring came out with a twist to unhook it from the lever.
The new ones were a lot thicker and harder so took quite a lot of effort to fit.Thankfully my Milwaukee M12 3/8 ratchet made this easier as it wound the bolt in whilst I struggled to hold the bolt lined up.
Now the hand brake is returning as it should so no more toasty wheels.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covering up the moon

The beginning

second hand car joys